At the centre of our scheme for The Modern House’s new offices - in the main open-plan studio - is a bespoke demountable desk structure, which can be adjusted in a sequence of simple moves to completely change the interior, functioning differently in both its extended and stored modes.
The desks fold away and can be hung at the perimeter of the space, to mimic Grand Salon-style panelling. Potted plants hang overhead, suspended from a metal grid affixed to the ceiling - adding visual interest whilst dampening the acoustics and neutralising air pollutants.
The desk templates were developed through 3D modelling and fabricated in Valchromat (engineered coloured wood) off-site by Tom Graham Workshop. They demonstrate our interest in designing out waste by maximising simple standard sheets or components.
The space also contains a number of original artworks by former clients of The Modern House, including John Virtue, Darren Almond and Michael Craig-Martin.
The desks set the design language for all bespoke fittings throughout the fit-out. Other key pieces include a meeting table designed by Max Lamb.
And a dining table designed by Faye Toogood, which are also fabricated from Valchromat.
The new workspace occupies the ground floor of a former church hall, St Alphege Hall, in Southwark, central London, in the same neighbourhood as TDO’s own studio. The mid-rise brick building dates from 1931. It was built as a church hall for the congregation of St Alphege on Lancaster Street. The church has since been demolished, leading to the gradual decline of the church hall.
The Architects’ Journal
The Modern House
Photography by The Modern House